In a culture where the hustle is celebrated and the grind is an accepted part of many peoples' lives, kindness is more important than ever. It is a way to reconnect with others and ourselves, acknowledge our shared humanity, and see each other and ourselves.
So, in the spirit of kindness, here are 20 simple ways to share it:
Kindness to Others:
- Send a letter. Good old-fashioned snail mail is such a gift to receive.
- Buy the person's order behind you in a drive through line.
- Tell a parent with littles that you see them, and they are doing great.
- Pick up a loved-one's favorite food or drink, and having it waiting for them when they get home.
- Write your favorite things about your children, spouse, or friend on their bathroom mirror with a dry erase marker.
- Do a mundane chore for a partner that's typically on their plate.
- Clear off the snow on a vehicle next to yours in the parking lot.
- Bring a neighbor a freshly baked loaf of banana bread, cookies, or some treats from a bakery
- Choose ethically sourced products--coffee and chocolate are big ones.
Kindness to the Earth:
- Rather than driving, walk or bike when you can.
- Join clean up days, or simply grab a pair of gloves and a bag and pick up trash in your neighborhood.
- Conserve water. Simple things like turning off the water when you are brushing your teeth and fixing a leak can add up to make a big difference.
- Plant a tree.
- Get a reusable water bottle. People around the world buy 1 million plastic water bottles every minute. The more we can reduce our use of single-use plastics, the better we care for this Earth that's ours to care for.
- Play. It reduces your stress, increases cognitive function, and improves relationships. For some of us, learning to play means having to relearn what we like to do, but it's worth it.
- Connect. Call a sibling, hit up a bakery with a friend, or go visit a parent. Be with people who fill your soul.
- Get outside. Vitamin D and fresh air are just the beginning of the renewing space of being outside. Sitting under a blanket of stars or pausing to listen to the song of the wind through pine trees is undoubtedly an act of self-love.
- Listen to your body. What is your body needing from you today?
Kindness often breaths life to more kindness, so spread it as often and abundantly as you can and know the ripple continues. What are the ways you are the recipient of kindness? We would love to hear from you!